Friday, May 11, 2007

Welcome to Fair and Square!

Hello all, and thank you for visiting Fair and Square.

As you probably know by now, this is a blog in which our Friendship Quilt Square exchange group will report its activities. I think you will agree with me that Vonna did a terrific job in setting up this blog, and the blog explaining our rules.

Now that you have all read the rules, a few questions have arisen among you lot. One of them is a concern about the actual size of the squares. Some of you pointed out that they may not have enough patterns that would fill a square of 50 X 50 stitches. Please don't worry about that. The point is that a stitched piece should never exceed 50 X 50 stitches; that doesn't mean to say that whatever you stitch should completely fill the alloted area. Please feel free to stitch anything you like, even if it's smaller than 50 X 50 stitches. As long as the 'quilters' among us end up with a set of equally large squares.

Some of you were also wondering about the timeframe. Vonna and I decided to start the 'pairing procedure' on June 1st, which means you will receive the name of your first exchange partner on that date. Our first deadline for posting will be on July 15th. That's still quite a long way away. Right? Plenty of time to go through your stash, in search of something that would fit in a 50 x 50 stitch square :o)

In the course of the next few weeks, I will try and pimp the header of this blog into something a bit more colourful, to make it into a nice, cozy meeting place, where we can all share our fair squares.

Well, that's it from me for now. If you have any questions, feel free to e-mail me at anvladar at yahoo dot com, or leave a comment, and Vonna or I will get back to you ASAP.

I hope you will all enjoy this Friendshp Quilt Square Exchange Experience. Happy stitching!

4 comments:

Deb said...

Thanks for all your work on this, An. It's going to work out fine for all of us. Hmmm, wondering if we should catalog into 3 or 4 main categories; such as, Old Fashioned Santas, Houses, Florals, Stitching Ladies.... you get the picture. That way everyone who wants a semi-consistent quilt top will get one?? Or, is it better just to scramble it up?? Deb

Margaret said...

Thanks Annemarie & Vonna!!
This is going to be great fun.
Deb's idea of categories sounds great to me but I'll go with whatever everyone wants.

Barbara J said...

Great work by Annemarie & Vonna!! I see Deb's views and I think it's great. But it's gonna be a tad difficult.

Let me explain. Let's say one of us wants to do up a quilt. And the theme is Floral. She'll receive only one patch that is floral. Unless she intends to stitch the rest of the quilt herself or participate in another round of exchange where the theme will be floral again.

So it might take forever if someone wants to wait for all the patches of the same theme. IMHO.

On another note, could we participants of this exchange put up a post about Fair and Square on our blogs anytime this two weeks, so as to creat awareness of this wonderful exchange. As they say the more the merrier.

Also we could incorporate a link on our right or left panel to this blog.

Deb said...

I see the issue, Barbara. You're right on that!!

I'm in just the same, An. I have a tendancy to throw out ideas or thoughts like that just in case, and more to brainstorm. But, I'm a true teamplayer. So, I'm happily waiting to stitch and switch with the Fair & Squarers!!
Deb